Local NewsThree Nigerians cleared of drug trafficking released from Saudi...

Three Nigerians cleared of drug trafficking released from Saudi Arabia — FG

-

Three Nigerians who had been detained in Saudi Arabia since August 2025 have been released after Saudi authorities determined they had no connection to an attempt to smuggle prohibited substances through Jeddah’s King Abdul Aziz International Airport.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesperson, Kimiebi Ebienfa, confirmed their release in a statement issued on Wednesday.

“The Ministry of Foreign Affairs, through the Consulate General of Nigeria in Jeddah, has secured the release and full lifting of the travel ban on three Nigerian nationals; Abdulhamid Sadieq, Maryam Hussein Abdullahi, and Bahijah Aminu Abdullahi, who were arrested in August 2025 at the King Abdul Aziz International Airport, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia,” the statement read in part.

The statement explained that they were arrested after prohibited substances were discovered in luggage that criminal syndicates had fraudulently linked to their air tickets at the Mallam Aminu Kano International Airport without their knowledge.

According to the ministry, once the arrests were reported, the Consul General of Nigeria in Jeddah, Amb. Muazam Nayaya immediately contacted the Saudi authorities and notified Abuja.

“Amb. Muazam Nayaya, the Consul General of Nigeria in Jeddah, immediately engaged Saudi authorities and reported the matter to headquarters in Abuja, while also requesting the intervention of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency to support investigations,” the statement said.

The mission also “maintained continuous engagement with the host authorities, ensured regular prison visits, and arranged legal representation for the detainees.”Related News

After a series of investigations, Saudi officials cleared the three Nigerians of wrongdoing and released them on September 14 and 15, 2025.

A temporary travel restriction placed on them during the security review has now been removed.

The statement further stated that Maryam Abdullahi and Bahijah Abdullahi returned to Nigeria on November 5, 2025.

The ministry confirmed that the travel ban on Sadieq was lifted on December 2, 2025, and “the Nigerian Mission is currently finalising arrangements for his return.”

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs praised Riyadh for its handling of the matter, stating that it “has commended the cooperation and professionalism of the Saudi authorities throughout the process and also acknowledged the pivotal role played by the NDLEA and the Consulate in Jeddah in securing a just outcome.”

The ministry added that the development “reaffirms and aligns with Nigeria’s enduring commitment to the protection and welfare of its citizens abroad as enshrined in the 4D Doctrine of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu.”

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Latest news

Two k!lled, three injured as APC ward congress turns bloody in Ondo

Two people were reportedly shot d3ad, while three others sustained injuries when violence erupted during the All Progressives Congress...

US rapper Lil Poppa d!es at 25

American rapper Lil Poppa, whose real name is Janarious Wheeler, has d!ed at the age of 25. The Fulton County...

Ogun debt hits N494bn, IGR rises above N240bn

The Ogun State Commissioner for Finance and Chief Economic Adviser to the Governor, Dapo Okubadejo, on Tuesday said the...

DMO to auction N800bn bonds at N1,000 per unit

The Debt Management Office (DMO) has announced the offer of three Federal Government bonds valued at N800 billion for...

Top Software Programmers in Nigeria 2026

In a world where technology is rapidly advancing and shaping the future, software engineering has become one of the...

2027: Our votes must count, says Peter Obi

A former presidential candidate of the Labour Party, Peter Obi, has called on Nigerians to remain vigilant during the...

Must read

JTF dismisses clergyman’s video on ‘Fulani mobilisation’ in Plateau

The Joint Task Force Operation Enduring Peace has dismissed...

Gunmen abduct journalist en route to media fellowship in Kwara

Gunmen have abducted a journalist, Salis Manaja, while on...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you