SportReal Madrid submit evidence to UEFA in Vinicius racism...

Real Madrid submit evidence to UEFA in Vinicius racism probe

-

Real Madrid CF say they have supplied “all available evidence” to UEFA as the governing body investigates allegations of racism made by forward Vinícius Júnior.


The Brazil international said he reported racial abuse by a Benfica player to referee Francois Letexier during Tuesday’s Champions League knockout round play-off tie in Lisbon. Real Madrid identified the player in question as Benfica winger Gianluca Prestianni.


UEFA confirmed on Wednesday, February 19, that it had opened a disciplinary investigation into events at the match. Real Madrid subsequently issued a statement outlining their cooperation.


“Real Madrid CF announces that it has today provided UEFA with all available evidence regarding the incidents that occurred [on Tuesday, Feb. 17, during the Champions League match that our team played in Lisbon against SL Benfica,” the statement read.


“Our club has actively co-operated with the investigation opened by UEFA following the unacceptable episodes of racism experienced during that match.


“Real Madrid is grateful for the unanimous support and affection that our player Vinicius Jr. has received from all sectors of the global football community. Real Madrid will continue working, in collaboration with all institutions, to eradicate racism, violence and hatred in sport and in society.”


The match was temporarily paused in line with UEFA protocols after Vinícius alleged he had been abused following his goal celebration. Play was halted for approximately 10 minutes before resuming, with the forward completing the full game.


After the match, Vinícius wrote on his Instagram story in Portuguese: “Racists are, above all, cowards. They need to put their shirts in their mouths to demonstrate how weak they are.


“But they have protection from others who, theoretically, have the obligation to punish. Nothing that happened today is new in my life and my family’s. I received a yellow card for celebrating a goal. Still not understanding why. On the other side, just a poorly executed protocol that served no purpose.”


Prestianni denied making any racist comment in a post on Instagram, while SL Benfica criticised what it described as a “smear campaign” against their player.


Benfica head coach Jose Mourinho has also faced criticism from anti-discrimination charity Kick It Out, which labelled his post-match remarks as “gaslighting”.


Mourinho told Amazon Prime: “I told [Vinicius], when you score a goal like that you just celebrate and walk back. They [Vinicius and Prestianni] told me different things. But I don’t believe in one or another. I want to be an independent.”


He added that “something happens, always” in matches where Vinícius plays. UEFA’s investigation into the incident remains ongoing.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Latest news

Canada releases full list of immigrant workers needed in the country in 2026

The Canadian federal government has announced new priorities for permanent residence under its Express Entry immigration system for 2026,...

Forgive me if I have sinned against you as we start Ramadan – President Tinubu tells Nigerian

President Bola Tinubu has appealed to Nigerians to forgive him if he has sinned against them. The President made the...

Two k!lled, three injured as APC ward congress turns bloody in Ondo

Two people were reportedly shot d3ad, while three others sustained injuries when violence erupted during the All Progressives Congress...

US rapper Lil Poppa d!es at 25

American rapper Lil Poppa, whose real name is Janarious Wheeler, has d!ed at the age of 25. The Fulton County...

Ogun debt hits N494bn, IGR rises above N240bn

The Ogun State Commissioner for Finance and Chief Economic Adviser to the Governor, Dapo Okubadejo, on Tuesday said the...

DMO to auction N800bn bonds at N1,000 per unit

The Debt Management Office (DMO) has announced the offer of three Federal Government bonds valued at N800 billion for...

Must read

JTF dismisses clergyman’s video on ‘Fulani mobilisation’ in Plateau

The Joint Task Force Operation Enduring Peace has dismissed...

Gunmen abduct journalist en route to media fellowship in Kwara

Gunmen have abducted a journalist, Salis Manaja, while on...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you